Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My 14 year old dog is panting incessantly and shaking with

My 14 year old dog is panting incessantly and shaking with teeth chattering. So you have any ideas what may be wrong?

Panting and trembling typically is a sign of severe pain. Your dog could have back pain from a slipped disc in her back, which can often cause these signs, and this could be treatable with steroids. Your dog could have internal pain from something like pancreatitis or liver disease, which could be treated with hospitalization and IV fluids and antibiotics. If your dog is not spayed, she could have an infected uterus. Basically, there are many things that could cause these signs, but these signs definitely mean that your dog will need to be seen by your veterinarian very soon, because your dog is uncomfortable. If your dog is still drinking and her gums are not pale, it is probably okay to wait until tomorrow if necessary, but I wouldn't wait much longer than that.

Best of luck... I hope your dog feels better soon.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear XXXXX M.,

Thank you so much for answering my question about Tillie. I did not get your answer until just now. I took her in to the vet and they thought is was pancreatis as you suggested. She has continued to pant and tremble throughout the day. Knowing that this is a sign of pain is really helpful, puts me at ease a bit more. Also the information about her gums and drinking of water is also very helpful.
Thank you again.

Tillie's mama