Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog ate a hamburger with onions in it. Now he is throwing

Customer Question

My dog ate a hamburger with onions in it. Now he is throwing up. are onions bad for dogs and what can I do for him now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

Onions can be toxic to dogs but usually they have to eat quite a lot, the small amount of onions to be found in a hamburger would be very unlikely to cause any lasting effects. Vomiting is a common symptom in dogs and may or may not be associated with the hamburger incident.

Assuming your dog is otherwise bright and happy you might want to try and control the vomiting with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him today but make sure he has access to water.

B. Tomorrow feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Of course if this does not solve your problem or your dog deteriorates then you should seek hands on veterinary help.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Jamie other wise seems fine. I will do what you recommend and see how he is tomorrow.

thanks again,

Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept and the bonus.

It was a pleasure to advise you ...