Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

my dog has a round lump under his tail and it looks like he

my dog has a round lump under his tail and it looks like he is having trouble pooping.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your dog who has a round lump under his tail! As you can imagine there are quite a number of potential things this lump could be. If this is a raised, firm dermal mass, you should really be getting your Vet to take a fine needle aspirate of the lump to check the cells in it by cytology. If it is a bloody looking wart it could be anything from a Haemangioma (blood blister), histiocytoma and only VERY rarely something like a dermal haemangiosarcoma, whereas if it is just a clear lump like a wart, it is much more likely to be something benign like a follicular or sebaceous cyst (similar to a boil). This could also potentially be something quite malignant (particularly if it is growing rapidly) like a melanoma. If it is getting in the way of his rectum, then whatever it is - complete removal might be the best option.

A complete excisional biopsy (removing the mass altogether) would tell you for sure what exactly this lump IS in order to give you some peace of mind. If this is a dermal (skin) mass, it is quite important to get an exact diagnosis as to what exactly it is - it could be a range of different lumps that can be either benign of malignant.

Best of luck following this up with your Vet and please do let me know what the exact diagnosis of this lump was once all the diagnostics have been carried. Do not panic in the mean time and just get your boy checked out when you next can.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards