Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.

Are shamrock plants poisonous to cats

Customer Question

My cat has been eating my shamrock plant. I keep moving it thinking I have it out of his reach but each time he has found a way to reach it. He has had several incidents of shortness of breath, coughing and vomiting liquid. My vet put him on terbutaline, but now I'm wondering if the plant could cause these synptoms. I did not think of the shamrock eating when I saw my vet.

He has also munched on my bamboo plant.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
as far as I know, neither shamrock nor bamboo are toxic to cats. When cats eat any leafy greens they tend to vomit. The periods of shortness of breath are probably totally unrelated. Here is link to plants that are toxic to cats:
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I should have went straight to ASPCA poisin control website. I went there after you answer where you send me to another to look up the answer I thought I was getting from an expert.

Thank god I went to ASPCA as their list of poisonous plants includes the shamrock which can cause kidney damage. The plant in now in a room where the cat can not get near it.