Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

What does the green discharge mean for my dog that is in l

Customer Question

What does the green discharge mean for my dog that is in labor?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hi
The green discharge means that a placenta is separating. Because the placenta is the pup's lifeline whilst inside the uterus it is important that the pup is born soon if this discharge appears. Aftre the birth the green discharge can continue for some time and is not necessarily an indication of a problem.
If this discharge has been there for more than a few minutes and nothing is happening can you let me know.
Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She just made her nest but the discharge was almost an hour ago.
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Just a few questions:
1. Do you know the date she is due (63 days after she mated).
2. Has she had a previous litter? If so, any problems?
3. Has there been any straining, muscle contractions?
4. Was there any large volume of fluid passed at any stage?
Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her due date was the 12th. Yes she has had 2 other litters but I dont know if there was any problmes. Her butt has been twitching if that is contrations. Yes there was alot of fluid passed before the green fluid came.
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for that information

It looks like a placenta has at least partly separated and a pup’s membranes have broken but there has been no stimulation for labour. 1 hour is too long. The birth should happen soon after any fluid appears and the green discharge means the birth should have already occurred. She needs to be taken to a vet quickly. They may be able to induce her or if not she may require a caesarean section.

Please contact me back if you have any other questions or issues, but please contact a vet quickly.

Peter

Ps: this is the general information on whelping in dogs with what to expect and what to watch for. No need to read it unless you wish. Important thing is to get her to a vet quickly.

The normal gestation period (pregnancy) for dogs is 63 days, plus or minus a few days. As her time to whelp approaches she may start to withdraw a little, perhaps go off her food and prepare a nest. This usually happens in the last day or two. Then she will start to go into labour.
It is important to understand that there is a separate labour for each pup. Between each pup's birth there will be a "rest period". This can be as short as just a minute or two or as long as an hour or so. So the time to have all the pups can vary considerably and is not so important as the time for each individual pup's birth.
When labour is imminent she will lie on her side, perhaps glancing to her rear end and shifting herself as though trying to get comfortable. Often there will be some panting. Then labour commences with abdominal contractions. Once these contractions commence a pup should appear within a few minutes. If she is straining for more than a half an hour or you see a part of the pup appear at the vulva but not exiting quickly you should contact a vet. Similarly if there is any discharge (green or fluid) and no pup appears soon you should contact a vet. The pup may be born packaged within the membranes or sometimes not. The mother will usually clean off the membranes and eat them. She will chew the umbilical cord and eat the placenta. If she seems not to be managing this process you can assist by breaking the membranes open and breaking the cord (just use your fingers). Allow the pup to find her teat, assist it if you need too. Don’t take the pups away from the mother, she may get quite upset.
So after the first pup, as I said, there will be a rest period. Then labour will commence for the next pup and so the process continues until all pups have been born. Between each pup the mother may not seem fully relaxed. After the last pup she will settle down and seem much less anxious....that is how you will know she is finished. If you suspect there is more pups to come and nothing has happened within 2 hours then you should contact a vet.
If you are sure of the day she mated, then count 63 days from that day. If she has done nothing by day 64 get a vet to check all is okay. And once she has finished whelping you should take mother and pups into your vet to check all is okay and discuss puppy management.

Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Just following up on my advice to you yesterday. I've been a bit worried about her.
Did she receive attention overnight? How did things turn out?
Kindest regards, Peter