How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 2953
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do if my dog has eaten some rid-x from the torn box?

Customer Question

My dog (50lbs) tore up a box of rid-x. I don't know how much if any she ate. I was out all day, so I don't know how long it has been. She is acting normal, ate her dinner and drank water. Can you tell me if this is something I need to take her to the emer. vet for?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

Hi, can you tell me what is the active ingredient on the box?

I only see electronic rid-x on the internet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

According to the box it contains:

Cellulase: toilet paper, vegetable matter & some foods.

Lipase: Fats, oils & grease.

Protease: Proteins.

Amylase: Starches.

Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

Hi,

Welcome to JustAnswer.

The good news is that the ingredients listed are not toxic per say. I would be more scared if possible:

A digestive obstruction (stomach or bowel)from the toilet paper.

Pancreatitis from the amount of food she ingested.

A stomach dilatation from the food and the rid-x she ingested.

If this has happened several hours earlier, there is no point to make her vomit.You may need to wait and see if symptoms persist.

If I get it right, rid-X is the stuff you put in the septic tank?

There are a lot of bacteria. Their website mentioned humans should not be affected by it.

Due to the amount she ate, I wonder if she could get some serious digestive upset.

I would suggest before you get her to the ER,

Stop feeding her for a day.

Give her water if no vomiting.

http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml

Call the ASPCA centre to know if the amount (possibly just give them a possible amount) would be detrimental to her.

They do charge you, but it is worth the call.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was Rid-X for a septic tank. Thankyou for the help we will keep an eye on her.
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

You're welcome.