Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

My dog has a lump on the side of his neck, its bleeding, it

My dog has a lump on the side of his neck, it's bleeding, it hasn't grown, and it is sore.

Hi there and thanks for your question!

How long has the lump been there for?

How long hs it been bleeding for?

How large is it?

Is it red? Purple? Light pink?

Is it round or irregular in shape?

Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for responding!

It has been there for a little less than a week. It only bleeds when he scratches it, which isn't excessive. He's attitude, appetite, or wieght has not changed. He's still as active as he alway is. He does occasionally have a run in with our cat, which is what I thought it was originally. It's about a cm in diameter. The color is bright red, if he has scratched it, otherwise it is the color of a scab. It is round. I have a vet appointment tomorrow for him, I just would like to know what I should prepare for.

I wish I had your dog in front of me so I could see this lump!

It's very unlikely to be a serious problem as serious cancerous lumps are uncommon in a dog so young.

I'm wondering if this could be something called a histiocystoma which is a benign type of tumor that occurs on young dogs. Your vet should be able to diagnose this with a fine needle test. This type of tumor almost always goes away on its own after a couple of months.

It could also be a tiny abscess from a cat bite or scratch.

A more serious concern would be a mast cell tumor but this sounds unlikely.

And finally it could be a type of cyst that has become infected which is really not a big deal.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions about this concern, just hit reply and I will respond as soon as I can. I am in between appointments this morning, so there may be a delay before I reply. Or, if my answer has helped you, please hit accept.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wish I had a picture I could send you, but you have relieved me of cancer concerns. Thank you! I can now breathe, I can't express to you how greatful I am! Thanks again!

You're very welcome!

Dr. Marie.