Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, 10 years in private practice
11201782

My diabetic dog wont eat her food sometimes.... how should

Customer Question

My diabetic dog won't eat her food sometimes.... how should I proceed with her insulin injection? A.) skip the injection until the next feeding time 12 hours later B.) give her a reduced amount of insulin? C.) put scraps in her food to get her to eat and then give her the normal dosage?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Mike replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

First, I would advise you to NEVER give the injection without the dog having eaten. The dangers of the insulin making the dog hypoglycemic are far danger than the hyperglycemia that would result from missing an injection.

I would try mixing a little bit of wet canned food into her dry, so that each piece of dry kibble is coated with the moist food. If she eats this, then give her the insulin injection. If she doesn't eat, pick up the food and skip the injection. She may have high blood sugar for a short time, but not long enough to cause harm.

I hope this information is helpful.

Good luck with her.

MEM

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your input. I picked up the food and I will take her for a longer walk than normal today and resume her normal routine later tonight with some wet food mixed in IF she doesn't eat her morning meal.
Expert:  Dr. Mike replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. I hope all goes well.