Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

my dog started pooping jelly like blood he also cough up some

my dog started pooping jelly like blood he also cough up some white foamy fluid
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hi Miz
When there is abnormal amounts of mucus (the jelly material) and blood in the stool it generally indicates an inflammation of some sort of the large intestine. This is commonly called colitis and is a fairly common problem in the small breeds. So when the colon is inflammed there will be some blood capillary breaks causing the bleeding and the colon produces excessive amounts of mucus as a protective measure. The stool usually becomes soft or even watery and the mucus appears as a reddish jelly material. Colitis is often associated with nausea and there can be some vomiting.
There are several common causes of colitis in dogs ranging from allergic to bacterial and parasitic. Often stress is involved and sudden changes in diet can trigger it. Consider if you have changed your dog's diet recently or if there has been any stress (emotional).
There are specific medications designed for colitis if it becomes a recurring or persistent problem. Obviously if an infectious agent is to be considered as the cause then that may require specific treatment. For this single episode you can dose him with a Kaolin/Pectin mixture (eg Kaomagma) at 0.5-1.0 ml/lb every 4-6 hours. This will settle his bowel down and make him feel more comfortable. Withold food for 12 hours but allow him to drink water. If he hasn't responded within 12 hours you should have hime assessed by a vet.
I hope I have been of assistance.
Regards, peter