VBlack
VBlack, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years experience in mixed veterinary practice & 10 years prior to that working at vets.
15246691

How do I know if my cat broke his leg

How do I know if my cat broke his leg?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VBlack replied 5 years ago.
Customer/p>

Can your cat put his leg down ?

Is there any swelling ?

How long has this been going on for ?

Is he sore if you touch the leg ?

Does the leg look out of shape ?

Are there any wounds ?

Are his nails scuffed ?

V Black

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He can put his leg down.

His leg is not swollen but his paw is slightly swollen, it's doesn't look that swollen compared to his other paw

He got hurt about 3 days ago

Not sore when I tough the leg but he cries when I touch his paw

No leg does not look out of shape

His paw has a wound only

His nail not scuffed but slightly off since it looks like his nail is going to fall off

Expert:  VBlack replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Without a full clinical exam I cannot be certain but generally if an animal is able to place their foot on the ground then no major bones in the leg are broken. He could have ripped his nail at it's nail bed and if it is hanging loose then it is best that he get it removed as this will reduce pain.

Broken toes in cats will often heal with rest and time although it is essential that you get pain relief for him. However often the most likely cause of lamenes in cats is due to bite wounds from other animals especially other cats. If he has been bitten then the area is likely to abscess and require antibiotics from your vet to clear the infection.

In the meantime get a jam jar and fill it with a 1 part TCP : 40 parts warm water and use it to bathe the foot and clean it up.

If your cat isn't eating this may be due to him running a temperature.

As it has been 3 days since you first picked up the injury and as he is still sore I do recommend that you try and take him to your vet, remember and let your vet know if money is tight as often cheaper antibiotics will do the job to clear up infections.

I hope this helps

V Black

The information provided is intended to be used as a guide only and all matters arising from this should be discussed with your regular veterinary surgeon. Please click accept and leave feedback as it is much appreciated.

VBlack, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 5 years experience in mixed veterinary practice & 10 years prior to that working at vets.