Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a mixed dog (half chihuahua/half pomeranian), she is

I have a mixed dog (half chihuahua/half pomeranian), she is 3 years old and has only had 2 grooming visits. This last one which took place on Saturday might have left a reaction. Since I brought her home, she has been scratching and trying to bite at her back side, when I looked, she had several red bumps and it must have been very painful because as I went to pick her up she yelped. I went and bought some recommended spray for after grooming spray from Petco and now she seems to have lots of scabs on her back. I don't think the spray caused this, I believe it was caused by the grooming but I may have not noticed it. In addition I purchased treats at Petco on the same day as the grooming. Can you tell me if she is having an allergic reaction and if so to what, the treats or grooming or both and what do you recommend i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 years ago.

It does sound like your dog is having an allergic skin reaction. The most likely cause is the grooming spray. Another possibility is flea bite allergy if she was exposed to fleas either at the groomer or at home. Even though you do not notice fleas on her, it does not mean that they did not get on her, bite and then jump off.

I would first start by bathing her in case the spray caused a reaction. I would also give her Benadryl for the itching. I usually dose at 1 mg/lb every 6-8 hours. If that is enough, it will resolve over about 1-2 days. If it is still bad, then I would get her on a flea preventative and have it looked at to make sure it's not an infectious dermatitis that needs antibiotics.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well we live in NYC and she is a house dog, does not go out at all except to our hallway. If she caught any fleas, it would have been at the groomers. I did bathe her when we returned home only because I noticed excessive hair that the groomer did not blow dry off after they clipped/cut her hair off. Another possibility is maybe the shampoo I used caused this reaction. Unfortunately since I didn't have dog shampoo, I used OTC generic brand of head and shoulders for human. As for the benadryl, do i use the regular benadryl humans use and how do i know how much to give her? Do I put it in her food? She is eating well and drinking which is a good thing. Also you didn't mention anything about the treats, is it possible the treats caused this reaction instead or in addition to? If I stop giving her the treats, do you think the bumps/scabs will go away by themselves or does she still need some benadryl. Is the benadryl for the itching only or for the bumps/scabs as well or does it relieve the itching so in time the scabs/bumps will go away? She is 3 years old and we've had her since birth and have never ever had this problem with her but again this is only the 2nd time she has been groomed and the first was with a different groomer and she didn't have this reaction. How do i know if it is fleas that they are still not on her and in my home or on her blankets? Do you recommend I simply take her to a vet so he can diagnose all of this or can I cure her at home? Vets are very expensive. Please help! Do you recommend I bathe her again and if so with what, obviously not OTC generic brand of Head and Shoulders.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 years ago.

If the signs started after bathing with the head and shoulders then that may be the culprit here. Some of those human shampoos can really dry out the skin and they can have reactions to it. I wouldn't use this anymore.

If this is a treat that she's had before, then it's not likely the cause. Dogs can have food allergies, so it's possible. I would doubt that it would come on so fast though, usually it's a less sudden onset if a food allergy and we more likely would see vomiting and diarrhea.

Benadryl- you can use regular human benadryl. Give 1 mg/lb. If she is under 20 lbs then you can use the childrens liquid benadryl- I think it's 5 mg/mL but not sure, you'll have to read the box.

If it's fleas, then you can get a topical flea product like Frontline which is now over the coutner at pet stores. You usually will see flea dirt on them- it looks like little black "dirt" looking specks. When you run them under water it turns red as it's flea feces (digested blood). If you see this, then I bet the whole thing is flea allergy. In that case, yes wash all the blankets that she's been on and be sure to vaccum the rugs where he lays as well.

So, start with the bendaryl for the itching. Hopefully the bumps go down as well when she stops itching so much. If in 2 days from now it looks the same or worse, then I'd get her to a vet and get it looked at. I know they can be expensive, but 2 days of itching would be my limit.

As for bathing him again- it might be a good idea to use a dog shampoo and get the other stuff off him. A tearless baby shampoo is an ok alternative. Sometimes it can be hard to wash all the shampoo out completely so it dries and can irritate- especially if it was a human shampoo.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I want to say the reaction started after I bathed her but wouldn't know because she may have started getting the bumps but didn't notice and I bathed her the next day. The treats, no this the first time I gave her these type of treats. They weren't treats in a box or anything like that, in fact it was a treat bar sold by the pound, so there are an assortment of different types ranging from raw hide to cookies that have carob to veggies snacks and so forth. Can you recommend a dog shampoo to use on her? She's rubbing her body on the walls of our house more than she is biting or scratching and when it comes to scratchig/biting, she's trying to bite more than scratch. Does that help in determining the real cause?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 years ago.

I'd hold off on giving the treats until this skin irritation resolves

I have no preference of shampoo- honestly I just grab the cheapest one at the pet store. They're all fine.

The biting I see more often at the base of the tail with flea allergy, but honestly anything can cause that and biting vs scratching doesn't help a whole lot.

Try the benadryl and the bath, let me know how it works.