Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

can I use duramycin for my chihuahua and if so what is the

Customer Question

can I use duramycin for my chihuahua? and if so what is the dosage for 4 pound weight
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me what the ingredient is in duramycin--that isn't a veterinary drug. Thanks!
Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
according to the vial and online the best i can tell is it is a form of tetracycline.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The label reads ......... Name Brand is Durvet

Duramycin-100

oxytetracycline hydrocloride

You can use tetracycline and oxytetracycline in dogs, but I wouldn't recommend it in a 14 week old puppy. It will cause enamel defects and discoloration in his teeth. I would contact your regular vet about getting some amoxicillin or a different antibiotic instead, although your vet will likely need to see your new puppy before prescribing it.

The other thing to consider, is that if this is kennel cough, your dog may not actually need antibiotics. Kennel cough disease can be caused by a variety of viruses and a few bacteria (Bordetella being the most common). In healthy animals that aren't running a fever, are eating well, and active, with no colored snot from their noses, I often will just treat with cough tablets since they likely just have a viral infection. Antibiotics won't do anything to kill a virus.

Hope that helps-
Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

according to his vaccine record the shelter gave me on 10/14 and then on 11/18 he was given proguard 5. I dont know if this vaccine contains kennel cough vaccine as i never used this brand vaccine and I dont know if it was a combination 5 way. So Iam not sure if he has been vaccinated for it. I always bought a seperate vaccine for my puppies for kennel cough.

Since my other 2 dogs had it first and he did not have the symptoms untill 2 days after he went outside for the first time here, thats exactly the same amount of days it took for my female chi to exhibit the symptoms after she kissed my pit who had it. Iam not sure it is kennel cough as it showed up in the cats last fall the same thing.

The cats are wild and go all over the yard so Iam thinking it has been spred from the cats. I just dont know what it is and cannot get to a vet in my area untill monday.

I don't think the Proguard contains kennel cough (or Bordetella). I've never seen a combination vaccine with it--like you we always give a separate vaccine for it.

The incubation time for kennel cough is about 5-7 days, but if he came from the shelter he could have been exposed there and not shown any signs until he got to your house.

Cats can have kennel cough, particularly those in large catteries, but it is not a common problem at all. It is caused by the same bacteria as affects dogs, however. Most other diseases in cats and dogs are pretty species-specific, especially viral diseases, so it may just be coincidental that you noticed similar signs in both animals.

If your puppy is just coughing, but otherwise eating, active, playful, etc, I think you can wait and see how he does.

Dr. Scarlett