Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

German shepherd: has an anal fistula..My Vet..atopica..capsules

My German Shepard has an anal fistula which is getting worse. My Vet just put her on Atopica 100 mg (Cyolosporine capsules). Looking this up says it is for dermatitis. What is this suppose to do to heal the anal fistula
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.

Perianal fistulas are actually thought to be an immune-related skin problem. Many times these dogs have allergies, oftentimes to food, and cyclosporine can stop the immune system from reacting and attacking the skin and surrounding tissue. Once the body/skin stops reacting to the immune stimulus, the fistula will start to heal up.

If the Atopica doesn't help, I have also had some success with tacrolimus. I also have changed the diets on my patients to Prescription Diet Z/D--I have been able to take a couple dogs of the drugs completely once they were on the new food for about 3 months.

Good luck--it is often a difficult disease to treat and manage.

Dr. Scarlett