NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My Great Dane is not eating very much. Yesterday he didnt finish

My Great Dane is not eating very much. Yesterday he didnt finish his breakfast and only had about 1/2 of his dinner. This morning he didnt even touch his food. He is drinking water, though. He is pooping regularly, although it is a little loose. Is he sick?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

This would make me suspicious of a health issue as he is so senior a dog for his breed.

It could be a sign of many health issues including liver, kidney, heart or digestive tract problems.

With his age I'd suggest planning an in person vet exam for him to find out what is going on.

This breed can suffer from bloat and you can read the symptoms here

But the fact he has a picky appetite may mean he is feeling unwell from another health issue.

If your dog might have gotten into anything toxic, appears dehydrated (see if a pinch of skin over the shoulder blade stays stuck in a tent form or flows back down normally when released), has a rectal temp over 103.5F (normal is 100.5-102.5F), has gums or tongue that look white, blue, gray or yellow tinted where they are normally pink, has a slow color refill if you press on a pink area of gum or tongue, or is becoming lethargic and non responsive to you then you may want to get the dog in to see a vet today.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is 11 months, not years.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

OK then that does change some things thanks!

At 11 months I'd be very suspicious of a swallowed non food item causing problems as it wasn't passing through the system well. Bloat is still a possibility so do read the info on that. And this might be due to intestinal parasites or infection with coccidia, giardia etc.

You can read about parasites here

Dane pups are typically hungry or willing to eat all the time in my experience so I'd be suspicious of a health issue with him not eating.