Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

14 year old dog licking up her own urine.

My 14 year old daschund/heeler mix went blind over a year ago. Around the same time, she was diagnosed with liver cancer that "should not affect her length of life". We have done many things to help her adapt and overall she does well as long as we are with her. When we aren't home she paces and howls almost the entire time (I've video taped her). Yesterday, my husband saw her licking urine that she had excreted on our floor. I am at my wits end and would like to try Prozac, but two vets have turned us down. I don't think this is purely a behavioral issue-my husband and I both have Ph.D.'s in behavioral psychology and have solved many of her behavioral issues in the past. I've also followed recommendations regarding separation anxiety such as not making a big deal about leaving and coming back. I've also tried leaving her toys like Kongs to keep her occupied, but once she gets the food, she reverts to howling and pacing. Is there anything we can do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Prozac may not necessarily be the way to go.
I would actually recommend a potential trial on Anipryl.

You may want to go the route of ruling out congnitive dysfunction. Some of the symptoms certainly fit, as well as, her age. You may also have an easier time having your veterinarian approve this prescription.
Keep in mind, it may take some time for the body to respond to the drug.

I would not recommend any sedative at this time, as their metabolism may be affected by any changes in liver function, and an overly sedated non-responsive pet is not the solution either.
Discuss the Anipryl with your vet. Worth a try.

Hope that helps
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's very helpful to understand why the Prozac is not a good idea. Thank you for your fast reply!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Good Luck