Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 10 years.

My 5 year old Samoyed chews and sucks on her front paws , has

Customer Question

My 5 year old Samoyed chews and sucks on her front paws , has since she was a pup...lately her paws look stained almost like tear stains I have noticed on small white breeds like toy Poodles question is...what's up ??? I know it's NOT a separation anxiety thing as she does this while laying at our feet while we are all together having family time....she also seems to do this more in the winter months....we have forced hot air heat...(maybe to dry???)we are puzzled ..any solutions or input would be welcome.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Schillig replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with this with your girl.

A couple of thoughts:

#1 - The most common problem I see that causes licking of the feet are allergy issues. This can worsen during the winter because of dry skin as well. Here is a link to an article on allergies and some early options for treatment in dogs:

#2 - If she has done this since she was a pup, it could be that it is a behavioral, safety net or blanket for her. Something thats he does for comfort. (Even if she is with all of you and happy, and maybe because she is with all of you and happy.)

#3 - Depending on where in the country you live, she could be worse during the winter months if she gets snow, ice or salt on her paws. This could trigger her to lick more.

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you think it would help if I were to give her some vegetable or cod liver oil in here food///if so ..on a daily basis ..weekly biweekl?????

I certainly don't think that vegetable oil or fish oil capsules would hurt at all.

(Not cod liver oil, that's different altogether!)

If you were going to do that, I would do so daily, and would go toward the fish oil caps. Remember, though, that when we make changes in the diet to affect the skin it takes 4-6 weeks to see results.

Good luck!

Dr. Schillig