Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dogs eyes are weeping, but not inflamed. She is not in

my dog's eyes are weeping, but not inflamed. She is not in any discomfort. Been 1 week. What should I do? What could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Can you answer a couple question to help me out with your girl's problem?
1) Is the weeping clear? Or is it thick and mucusy?
2) Is the white part of the eye red?
3) Is she squinting her eyes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The white looks fine, the discharge is clear and she is not squinting
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
If her eye's are not red (a sign of conjunctivitis - bacteria, viral, irritant all can cause this), the discharge is clear (mucusy might indicate actually too little tear production or secondary infection) and she's not squinting (one of the key signs of pain which an ulcer would be a possibility), then I'd be suspicious of a possible lacrimal duct obstruction.

The lacrimal ducts are the tubes that let the tears drain from the eye into the nares. This is similar to those in people. When you get teary eyed, your sinuses get a little stuffy from the tears going into the sinus.

In some dogs, these ducts can become narrowed with age or with debris settling in them. It is usually not a medical issue unless a secondary dermatitis develops due to the tears keeping the skin moist and irritating it. The best way to check the drainage is to place a dye i the eye and then watch to see if appears in the nares. This is something your vet can check.

I would highly recommend having this done with your vet here soon. That way they can check to make sure there is no other source of the tearing. The big things that I say are definite red flags with eyes are cloudiness, redness, pain, and purulent discharge. So far she doesn't have any of these, but that could change.

Your vet will be more than happy to check her over and help the both of you out.