Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog ingested some bacitracin neomycin polymyxin ointment.

My dog ingested some bacitracin neomycin polymyxin ointment. He has not vomited and appears to be o.k. What should I do?

Dear friend,

You do not have to worry about this. Only ointments containing zinc (like desitin) can be toxic so your boy should be fine. He may get a bit of diarrhea.

If he just gets a GI upset you can try home care.

He can have Immodium, kayopectate or any OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.Use pepsid a.c for vomiting.

I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc add cooked white rice or infant rice cereal.

Go very slow so he does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily from diarrhea.

Add unflavored pedialyte to his water 50/50 to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise his blood sugar in case he is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk him up.

Do not allow him to drink a lot at a time If he throws up water, he can lick ice

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or baby food for 48 hours after the stool is normal.

Also give him one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in his system.

If he develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down he needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope he will be just fine.

Best wishes for him,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. I breathe a sigh of relief.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

Best wishes,