LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian

My dog is walking with his head down and tilted to the side.

My dog is walking with his head down and tilted to the side. He won't turn his head to the other side. He is panting but wagging his tail.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for writing in,

Does your dog have any ear infections?

Is your dog vomiting at all?

Is he walking in circles?

Has this happened before? and then gone away?

If you look at his eyes are they going back and forth?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He's getting over an ear infection we took him 2 weeks ago and he was cleared. He is not vomiting. He was walking in circles and leading with one side of his head. This has never happened before. His eyes are not moving back and forth. This has happened within the last hour.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.

Ok, great thanks for that added info.

There are a few things that could be going on. The first is if he has an inner ear infection, this could throw off his balance. So I would suggest that he goes to his best during normal business hours for an otoscopic exam to look for any abnormalities in his ear drum that could indicate an inner ear infection.

This could also be a condition called geriatric vestibular disease when for no known reason, dogs do exactly what you are describing. Occasionally their eyes can go back and forth rapidly and even make them nauseated. This usually happens off and on. If it makes your dog sick then dramamine for motion sickness and famotidine to decrease the acidity in the stomach is usually the drug of choice. OF course your vet will want to rule out other things such as a brain lesion etc, so a good physical and neurological exam is warranted. I hope this helps!! Good luck with your boy!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your help!
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Your very welcome, let me know how he does!