LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
12131827

My dog makes this funny noise through his throat and nose that

My dog makes this funny noise through his throat and nose that sounds like he is having an asthma attack without the coughing because his mouth is closed shut. He is an 11 month old coton de Tulear Male that has not been fixed. I had a shis tzu that did the same thing, but I thought it was because of the squished face. I used to rub his throat and pich his nose and it would pass after a minute or so. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for writing in,

What you are describing is called a reverse sneeze and is a normal behavior to clear the throat. This is often seen in smush faced breeds if their soft palate gets in the way of their trachea. This can also be seen in dogs that have allergies, or occasionally a dog will do with no good reason for it. Unless it is for extended periods of time or is inhibiting normal exercise etc, then it is not a problem. I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I need to know what is effective in helping him along when it happens to make it of shorter duration or make him more comfortable.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 8 years ago.

There isn't really anything you can do as far as rubbing because this is an irritation in the nasopharynx. What you can do if you think its going to happen again is give some benedryl at 1mg/pound to help if it is an allergen causing it.

Your dog is not uncomfortable when this happens. IT is a normal reflex nasal irritation-sneeze, throat irritation-cough, nasopharynx irritation-reverse sneeze. It just sounds very dramatic, but its a normal behavior. SO give the benedryl a try and see how he does.