How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17739
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate Albuterol Sulfate? What do we need to do?

Resolved Question:

My dog ingested Albuterol Sulfate. What do we need to do?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Can you answer a couple questions to help me out?
1) How long ago did she eat the albuterol sulfate?
2) Was it a full, semi-full, or near empty inhaler?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1-2 hours ago about 8 2.5mg vilas
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

So she ate eight entire vials for your asthma inhaler? I'm trying to make sure I understand the whole picture.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

They are plastic vials that I put into a machine. And yes, she has ingested the liquid that is in the vials.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Lets make her vomit to empty out her stomach.
Please follow these instructions on this site.

This will help to decontaminate her.

Can you tell me how much she weighs approximately so I can figure out the dose she got?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

She weighs about 50 lbs.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

The possible dose on a mg per kg dose is 0.86 mg/kg. This is a pretty high dose. That is assuming that she ate all the liquid out of each container and we don't decontaminate her at all with the emesis induction.

I would strongly recommend taking her after you get her to vomit to an ER clinic for them to give activated charcoal to (to prevent any more absorption) and for them to hospitalize her for further treatment and observation.

Here is an excerpt from Plumb's Veterinary Formula.

Overdosage/Acute Toxicity
Symptoms of significant overdose after systemic administration may include arrhythmias (bradycardia, tachycardia, heart block, extrasystoles), hypertension, fever, vomiting, mydriasis, and CNS stimulation. Hypokalemia may also be noted. If recently ingested (orally), and if the animal does not have significant cardiac or CNS effects, it should be handled like other overdoses (empty gut, give activated charcoal and a cathartic). If cardiac arrhythmias require treatment, a beta-blocking agent (e.g.,propranolol) can be used, but may precipitate bronchoconstriction. The oral LD50 in rats is reported to be greater than 2 g/kg. Contact a veterinary poison control center for further information.

I'm hoping that all turns out well.

Dr. Bruce and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions