Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

why does my female dog have a fish smell and what can I do

why does my female dog have a fish smell and what can I do about it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

The answer here is really simple, this strong odour is likely to be coming from your dog's anal glands which are also called scent glands. This is the same glands that the skunk has and it their job to produce a very strong smell now and again and it is described as " fishy ".

The anal glands of the dog are very small and quite difficult to see and they are located very close to the anus, one on each side. They do not produce a high volume of scent but it is very strong, in the wild it would serve a function as a territorial marker but domestic dogs have no control over it.

The anal glands are a normal part of the dog's anatomy and if they are creating a smell frequently this most likely means they are impacted and full. Have your vet empty the anal glands for you, this is a very minor and quick procedure but with some dogs you would need to do it every month or so or even more frequently to resolve this problem.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS