Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My dog has been restless, panting and throwing up....

My dog has thrown up 4 times in the last 2-3 hours, she hasn't eaten since last night but has drank lots of water. She is really panting and not wanting to lie down. Her hips give her problems from time to time so when she stands one of them is really shaking when she stands. I'm worried. She is around 14 years old and is a lab mix.
Submitted: 5 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 5 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear that she is vomiting. First, if she is having unproductive retching (dry-heaving) and her abdomen is distended and hard, you need to take her to a veterinarian immediately. If that is not the case, there are several things that could be wrong with her:

1) She could have pancreatitis, in which case she would need bloodwork from your vet to confirm it, and would likely need hospitalization. Fatty table scraps can cause this, but it can be caused by other things, too.

2) She could have a foreign body obstructing her intestines or stomach, and would need xrays from your vet to diagnose this, and then possible surgery.

3) She could have gastroenteritis, which is inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract from an unknown cause.

4) She could have organ dysfunction, which would require bloodwork to diagnose and then potential hospitalization.

5) She could have intestinal parasites, which would need to be diagnosed by a fecal sample.

She is most likely uncomfortable right now. The best thing for her would be to see your veterinarian to find out what is wrong with her. In the meantime, however, you can try this. Do not give her ANY food or water until late tonight. At that time, if she has not vomited, you may offer her a small amount of water. If she holds that down, you may offer a small amount of a bland diet of boiled chick breast and white rice in a 50/50 mixture. If she holds that down, you may feed this diet in 4-5 small meals throughout the day tomorrow and the following day, and then if all goes well, you may switch back to her regular diet on the 3rd day. If she continues to vomit, however, you should take her to see your vet.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She is not retching or dry-heaving. Everything has been productive. She is now throwing up the water and foam. Her belly is not distended and hard.

I don't think she has a foreign body obstruction as the vomiting only started within the last 3 hours. I will try what you have suggested first (I am a single mom who is currently unemployed at the moment and don't have the funds necessary to take her to the vet at the moment, but I don't want her to suffer either). If she is still in this state tomorrow I will call her vet and take her in.

Do you have any suggestions as to why this might have come on so quickly? She seemed fine last night and earlier this morning. The symptoms didn't appear until a little before lunch time.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 5 years ago.
Most of the time, symptoms in animals will come on suddenly (even if it is a foreign body) because dogs are pack animals.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005