Brad Craig
Brad Craig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as a dog cat vet
14342627

i think my dog just ate an ambien- will he die- or should I

i think my dog just ate an ambien- will he die- or should I ride it out?
How much ambien? Was it CR? The blue one? White=10 Orange=5 mg? Weigth of dog? Breed and age? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX DVM
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I usually split 10 mg in 1/2....I heard a pill hit the floor. not sure if it was the whole pill (10mgs) or just 1/2 pill (5mg) cause I keep the in the same bottle,,,not even sure the dog ate it, it just diappeared and the dog was standing right there. the dogs eats off the flooe like a vaccuum. I have looked all over- crawling on the floor etc...can't find the 1 or 1/2 pill (not sure what fell.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I usually split 10 mg in 1/2....I heard a pill hit the floor. not sure if it was the whole pill (10mgs) or just 1/2 pill (5mg) cause I keep the in the same bottle,,,not even sure the dog ate it, it just diappeared and the dog was standing right there. the dogs eats off the flooe like a vaccuum. I have looked all over- crawling on the floor etc...can't find the 1 or 1/2 pill (not sure what fell.)

again she is a 10 -11 lb Chi

Large chichuhua what is the weight so I can calculate the toxic dose?? Thanks Brad
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

11 lbs

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

im freakin- what do I look for in the dog? should I take her to an er vet

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

this program keeps asking for a response, but I havent heard back from the vet- so I have no comment yet---except HELP

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hello?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

please help Dr Craig

Did you get my answer had to search toxic dose!
Sent long answer! Things should be OK please let me know and I can retype. Searched the database on the toxic dose. thanks Brad
First do not see my answer. Will try again however KNOW IT SHOULD BE OK!!!!! Will start long answer again now. Brad
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Brad- I didn't realize I needed to check my personal email. Got it. Thanks again
Zolpidem or ambien is not highly toxic to dogs. At a dose of .2 mg/kg or one mg for your dog sedation may occur. At a dose of .6mg/kg or 5mg fot your dog the hyperactivity may occur. Dogs have been reported to ingest doses up to 21mg/kg and not die. ( Remember 1kg=2.2 pounds) Clinical signs occur within one hour, if it has been over one hour all should be OK.The signs last for up to 12 hours. Will post and complete typing! Brad
Did a long lit search on this, 54% of dogs showed ataxia after large doses of zolpidem. Other signs were hyperactivity in 30%, vomiting in 21%, and lethargy in 15%. Has it been one hour yet and are there any signs? Please let me know!!! Thanks BRAD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Daphne, my baby, 5 yr old Chi, seems to be doing ok. She seemed a little extra sleepy than normal, but nothing crazy so far. My husband went to bed, while I am still awake. She went to bed with him instead of staying up with me like she normally does. But I have checked on (them) and she seems to be sleeping fine. I don't hear any disturbance in her breathing etc... just normal crashing out. The only thing different, is that she normally would stay up with me no matter how late.... but tonight she wants to go to bed early with daddy. I think she is ok. but will watch her diligently over the next few hours and make sure she is breathing ok.