Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

my 14 year old 22 pound female spayed bichon frise is panting

Customer Question

my 14 year old 22 pound female spayed bichon frise is panting excessively almost all the time i tis the worst in the middle of the niht
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I have a few questions for you so that I may better assit you. If you would be so kind to try and fill me in on a little of her history that would be great.

Does she drink a lot of water?

Does she sound congested or short of breath or is it just a panting kind of thing?

Does she drool a lot?

Is her abdomen distended at all?

Does she have any swelling in her limbs?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi she does drink a lot of water no drooling no swelling in her limbs or abdomen she does sound short of breath
Hello, at this point I think the best thing to do for your baby is to have a vet take a look at her and do some blood work and some x-rays. Given her age and the symptoms that you are expressing I am concerned that she may have some heart issues that her body is trying to deal with. It is also possible that she may have some fluid on her lungs as well and that is why she seems like she is having a shortness of breath. The fluid in the lungs could be causes by an underlying heart issue as well, or another cause. I would highly recommend that you see your vet to try and determine if there is fluid in the lungs and if so start treatment to get the fluid out so that she can breath more normally. With shortness of breath like she is having she is not getting enough oxygen in her blood to distribute to the rest of her body so this in itself can cause some issues. The excessive panting can also stretch out her esophagus and lead to other disorders as well or become chronic condition. I would take to your vet as soon as you have a chance to for a better evaluation. I hope this helps and I hope your baby starts to feel better soon but let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi is there any medication we could get for her on line we cant afford the vet bill that woulld be incurred

I am sorry but there is no medication that I know of that can be purchased on line for her POssible condition. Not to mention I have no idea for sure what is going on with your baby since I have not been able to see her in person or lay hands on her to examine her. I could not in good faith tell you a drug even if there was one out there that could help your baby. I understand finances right now and I would try and call your vet and see if they can work out a payment plan with you so that you can get her seen and properly diagnosed. If that is not possible there is a company called Care Credit that can help finance the bill and you would just have to pay it back like a credit card. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.carecredit.com/

I would try to talk to your vet or call care credit and see if they will be able to help. Please let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how about giving her honey and cinammon
I am not sure what benefit Honey and Cinammon will have at this point. If she does have a heart condition it will not help that. If she has fluid in her lungs it will not help that either. The only option you have as I see it is that you need to see a vet. NO home remedies will help you at this point. Please go to see your vet so that they can get you on some proper medication and get a proper diagnosis for her.