Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.

Good Evening. I have a XXXXX XXXXX bitch named Sally who is

Good Evening. I have a XXXXX XXXXX bitch named Sally who is 13 years old. Every morning she vomits yellow bile, her appetite has become very poor. She has had xrays, numerous blood tests including one for Addison disease and an ultra sound. All four vets at the practice I go to are baffled. If anyone has any idea what is wrong with Sally I would be grateful to hear.

If it is just vomiting, without diarrhea, the next diagnositc step would be to do endoscopy with biopsies. There are infections that can occur in the stomach (Helicobacter for one) that will cause chronic vomiting. Also, sometimes peices of toys swallowed long ago are still rattling around in there, and can cause chronic vomiting.

If that is not possible, I might suggest putting the dog on a hypoallergenic diet such as Hill's Z/D for a while to see if that helps.

You may consider adding an H2 blocker such as Pepcid AC or Zantac. Ask your vet for doses. There is a condition called bilious vomiting syndrome that causes dogs to vomit bile when they have accessive stomach acid. Another way to help if this is the cause is to frequently feed the dog small meals or snacks, so the stomach is not empty for long. This is especially important first thing in the morning and late at night, before bed.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome. If a deposit has been made, it remains with Just Answer until you press ACCEPT. Once you press ACCEPT then I am paid.

If there is something I can further clarify, Click REPLY. Our dialog continues even after you click accept, I want to be sure your question is fully answered.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me Dr. Wally. My vet has suggested as they have exhausted all the tests they can think of, the next step would be to operate on Sally to see if there is anything sinister growing in her womb, stomach or throat. I feel this is quite invasive surgery for a dog her age, Sallys appitite has diminished considerably the past few weeks resulting in rapid weight loss. This also concerns me as she doesn't seem strong at the moment. All she wants to do is sleep. I would appreciate your views on the suggested surgery. Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

The exploratory with biopsies (make sure they get samples of everything they can), is actually not as horrible as it seems. It is done routinely. The anesthesia is the major concern, but if the bloodtests are coming back fine, the risk is one I think you should take. I would still advise you have endoscopy done by a referral institution before going with an exploratory laparotomy, but if none is available, the surgery may be indicated.

If she has not been spayed, she should be as soon as possible.

I wish you luck. I know how frustrating it is to not have a diagnosis. Such is the problem with veterinary medicine. We are somewhat limited to the symptoms that animals will show, and the information from lab tests. Not always great.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Wally. You have put my mind at rest regarding surgery. Kind Regards, Suzanne.