Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota

I have given my dog (30kg boxer) 1 x 10mg of cetirizine hydrochloride.

I have given my dog (30kg boxer) 1 x 10mg of cetirizine hydrochloride. Can you please tell me if this will relieve his allergic reaction?
This is generally considered a safe antihistamine in dogs. The highest dose is about 0.5mg/kg by mouth once a day (or the dose can be divided into twice a day doses).   So for your dog, the max dose would be 15mg by mouth once a day.

Weather it will be effective is a different question. Each dog responds to antihistamines differently. Some dogs do not do well with antihistamines no matter what brand or type there are. Other dogs do well on one type of antihistamine and poorly on another.   You will also need to make sure that this is an allergic reaction alone (often there are bacterial or yeast infections present in the skin as well).

I hope you are able to find some relief for your dog with this medication. As with all medications, you should let your veterinarian know that your dog is receiving it.

Dr. Beth

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I really should have done my homework before giving it to him. Can I rest assured that this will not cause him any harm?

It is generally considered very safe in dogs. It will help your dog's itching or do nothing. In some dogs antihistamines will cause sedation or hyper-excitement.