Martha Windisch
Martha Windisch, Certified Pet Dog Trainer
Experience:  17+ years experience as a pet dog trainer. AKC titles in obedience, tracking, field and agility.

why does my dog want his hips rubbed all the time

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Martha Windisch replied 6 years ago.

What type (breed or mix) of dog is he? (how much does he weigh - approximately)

How old is your dog?

Is he healthy? Is he on any medications?

What is he doing to request that his hips be rubbed? Does he want both hips rubbed?

Does he want to be rubbed and petted in other areas also?

Has he ever had any joint problems or lameness? Ever had any lameness in his rear?

Has he ever had any injuries in the hip area?

Is he itchy? How's his skin and coat - are they healthy looking?

What type (brand) of food do you feed him? Is he on any supplements or extras?

When you say "all the time", how often do you actually mean? i.e. how often does he request that you rub his hips?

Thanks for providing this information. It will help me to better answer your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My dog is 18 pound sheltie.She is 6 years old. She seems to be healthy not on any meds.She likes me to rub her back when she getting my atention when we are sitting on the couch relaxing for the night. She seams to give me a kiss on my face then turns her back to me.She puts her noes on my hand to get me to rub her back. she only wants me to rub her back has never had any injuries.As far as i know shas never had joint problems. Her skin and hair is a little dry. we use pedagree dog food.She is not on any supplements or extras.She likes me to rub her back when see gets my attention usually at night.

I would say that she does this because it feels good. Basically, the same reason that people, including me, like their back rubbed. If her skin is a bit dry, it might feel all the better since rubbing her back would also make her feel less itchy there. Furthermore, that's a spot that a dog cannot reach so well themselves. Sort of like when I get an itch in the center of my back and I cannot reach it. She probably does it mostly at night because it's a time when you are both sitting and relaxing and she likes to become further relaxed by getting her to rub her back. If only our dogs could reciprocate and rub our backs - now that would be great!!! Then we could take turns!

Hope this answers your question. I don't think that there's anything complex in the reason why she does this. Enjoy your sheltie and your relaxing time together!