Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog acts like he needs to poop but cant

Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old English bulldog who seems to be having trouble pooping. If he seems otherwise fine and is just a little constipated, then there are a couple of things you can try. The best 'at home' remedy is to pop around a dessert spoon or two of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at his terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. If you can source it, Lactulose syrup works perfectly for this situation, however you may need a prescription from your Vet for this.

If his poop is really quite firm and he is very painful when trying to pass them, then you can purchase a product called "microlax" from your drug store. This is a suppository that needs to be inserted up the bottom, so if you do decide to try this make sure you lubricate the nozzle and insert if very gently into his bottom before squeezing out the contents. This breaks up the poop in the terminal colon and coats it allowing the dog to poop easily within 5 - 10 minutes. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in doing this, then you are better off letting your Vet handle this problem. If you have already tried a full enema without much success, then we may be getting to the point where your boy needs to be sedated for a full enema to clear him out completely. You should then feed ongoing cooking oil 3 - 4 times weekly or something high in fiber such as mashed pumpkin.

I hope this helps and please let me know how you get on with your boy. Please reply if you need any further help or assistance won't you.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards