Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

small dog is throwing up only yellow mucus - hasnt eaten anything

small dog is throwing up only yellow mucus - hasn't eaten anything since yesterday evening

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old poodle/bichon cross who has been throwing up yellow mucus since yesterday. It definitely sounds as though she is not feeling very well and the fact she has been vomiting for so long indicates she probably has some abdominal discomfort. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something or she shouldn't have - or even from the raw meat - particularly if it was chicken), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within her bowel) . If this has been going on all day and your dog has not had anything to eat or drink, then I would definitely encourage you to get your dog examined at your local Vet or emergency vet. It is much better being safe than sorry in these situations as there could be a myriad of things going on here and only a full Veterinary physical examination can help pinpoint the cause of the problem in order to instigate a treatment and of course set your mind at ease and give your Poodle cross girl some comfort from todays events!

Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet in the morning - unless she seems absolutely symptomless. Please keep a close eye on your dog's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Please get in touch with your Vet or emergency Vet if these symptoms are ongoing or if you are overly concerned about your dog's current state of health. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. I hope this has been of help to you and do try and get some sleep tonight. If you can't sleep because you are worried - this is enough for me to tell you to visit your emergency vet now.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she has only been vomiting for about five minutes. she hasn't eaten since yesterday evening, but she has had water. She is never outside except in a very small, clean back yard

Oh good! I was under the impression she had been vomiting for the last 24 hours! That does change things a little. You still need to keep a very close eye on her during the next 12 - 24 hours if you can keeping an eye on the things mentioned above. You could try her with a little cooked chicken breast and rice and see if you can coax her to eat with this? It is great she is still drinking. My guess is that this is simply an acute gastroenteritis that will pass within the next 24 hours, however keeping an eye out for further symptoms will help ensure something more serious is picked up by you very quickly.

Best of luck and do keep me posted on your progress please.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards