Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

my dog has a greenish yellow discharge comming from her vagina

my dog has a greenish yellow discharge comming from her vagina area
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. How old is your dog and is she spayed? Is she acting sick such as vomiting, lack of appetite or lethargy? Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she is a year old not sick or lethargic. not on any kind of meds. she is a chihuahua

My concern is a possible infection. When a green or yellow discharge is evident it can be indicative of pus. Infection can come from inside the uterus which is called pyometra. Pyometra is a serious and dangerous illness. It is basically a uterus filled with pus. However, your dog is very young and not acting sick so that is unlikely. More likely your dog has vaginitis which is an infection of the vulva. It is not considered dangerous but can progress and can cause problems if left untreated. I would clean the area with warm water and dry it thoroughly then have it checked by your veterinarian as soon as you get a chance. Until then you can apply neosporin or a triple antibiotic ointment to the area. If you have more questions let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So I kinda hate to ask this but do you have any idea what would cause this and how much treatment will cost

It is fairly common. The area stays fairly wet and that can lead to infection. If there is a lot of hair around the vulva that can also keep the area wet. There are some dogs that have poor conformation of the vulva so that the area does not dry out. In this case you are probably looking at an office visit and some antibiotics. The cost shouldn't be too bad. You can try the neosporin for a few days and see how it goes as long as she is acting normal though.