Dr. Duncan
Dr. Duncan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from UF, Internship in Surgery and Internal Med; ER vet; 11 years of veterinary experience
14919115

My 10 week old puppy has been peeing blood for about a week

Customer Question

My 10 week old puppy has been peeing blood for about a week now. I took her to the vet as soon as i noticed vet put her on antibiotics for a "bladder infection" i dont know what its called for dogs. The antibiotics aren't working and there is now more blood in her urine. What else could it be. I took her back and an x-ray was done and kidney stones were ruled out. Her urine was sent out to be looked at and have had no updates yet. What could the problem be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Duncan replied 5 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer
I have a bunch of questions I will need you to answer first so I can better answer your question:

What breed of dog do you have?
Did they do blood work?
Do you know if they did a urinalysis (urine exam under a microscope) or a urine culture or both with the urine that was sent out?
Did they comment on her female anatomy?
Is she urinating in a normal manner otherwise (ie not more frequently than you would expect?)
Is there any possible trauma history?
Is she having any other symptoms or bleeding from anywhere else?
Is there any possibility of her ingesting rat bait around your home or elsewhere?

Thank you!
Dr. Duncan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 3/4 rott 1/4 pitbull. No blood work was done. Urine test I'm not sure one was done in the vet office in about 5 mintues other one was sent out on Friday. Still not results. She is trying to pee every 5-10 minutes or so. It will only be a little of urine or just a few drops of blood. There are no other symptoms, she's being a little agressive they said it might be because of the discomfort. There is a small possibili she has ingested rat poison but she has never been outside unsupervised. The vet said that her poop is also grainy as well as her urine.I feel like my vet is running me in circles. Please help!
Thanks for the informationCustomer
<br /> It sounds like she does have a urinary tract infection based on the frequency that she is urinating. How long has she been on the antibiotics and what antibiotic is she on? It can take up to 36 hours to see real improvement. Were they 100% positive there were red blood cells in the urine? It is possible for the urine to look red from substances other than blood produced in the body.   Has she had an increase in thirst recently?
<br /> If you don't put out the rat poison and she doesn't go outside unsupervised than this is probably not what is causing the blood in the urine however if you notice any bleeding from any other body part or any bruising on the skin, swelling or pink dots on the gums or hairless areas alert your vet immediately as these could mean trouble with her ability to clot her blood.
<br /> Another possible cause of blood in the urine is hemophilia; this seems unlikely but not unheard of. There are clotting tests that would quickly rule out hemophilia and rat poison ingestion as a cause that could be performed along with a platelet count.
<br />
<br /> The other category that comes to mind is a congenital disease of the kidney filtration system. The urine test may help your vet to determine if this is a possibility although it seems very unlikely considering how often she is trying to urinate and that she not (I'm assuming since you didn't mention it) drinking more than normal.
<br />
<br /> I don't know how long she has been on the antibiotics but the grainy stool could be due to antiobiotic administration or possibly due parasites or adjustments to a new diet.
<br />
<br /> I would ask your vet if he/she could prescribe some pain medication in addition to the antibiotics. Hopefully your vet has requested a culture and antibiotic sensitivity profile on the urine sample that is at the lab right now to be sure that the antibiotic she is on will kill the bacteria that is there. This test will also determine whether there is a true infection.
<br />
<br /> At this young of an age I would be worried about ectopic ureter disease as a cause of urinary tract infection. This is something that may need to be looked into as it will most likely become a chronic problem if it exists. The ureters are the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder and if they do not connect at the bladder and instead connect in the urethra, urine can collect in abnormal places in the vagina and set up dogs for infection. This condition is diagnosed with either cystoscopy (introducing a scope into the bladder) or with contrast radiography (administering a dye into the body and taking xrays to see where the urine is going.
<br />
<br />Another common problem in young female dogs (my own dog had this) is a recessed vulva. With this condition a skin fold covers the vulva or the vulva inverts into the surrounding tissue which allows urine to trap in the tissue and subsequently can lead to bladder infections. This problem is corrected with surgery. I found some pictures of normal vs abnormal vulvas in puppies (although the normal vulva in the picture is difficult to see) that may help on this site: <a href="http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html"
Recessed vulvas can be corrected with a "nip-tuck" surgery called a vulvoplasty which your vet could discuss with you if appropriate.
target="_blank">http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html</a>
<br />
<br />I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can help you further.
<br />
<br />Sincerely,
<br />Dr. Sarah Duncan
Dr. Duncan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from UF, Internship in Surgery and Internal Med; ER vet; 11 years of veterinary experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has been on the antibiotics for 7 days now, and it seems to be getting worse i just wanted to talk to you to make sure the vet is taking all the right steps. Since im so young i didnt want to be taken advantage of and allow her to be performing unneccesary tests. The antibiotics she is on is called....clavamox 125 mg i am giving her 1/2 tablet twice a day. she is only 12 lbs.
Clavamox is a great "first choice: antibiotic and the dose is appropriate. Are you keeping the tablets in the foil packaging protected from light and moisture before you administer them? Have you missed any doses or does she spit pills out when you aren't looking?
<br /> There are some bacteria that clavamox just isn't going to kill and it won't do a thing to treat inflammation, however by now she should be improving not worsening. Did she improve even for a little bit on the current course of antibiotics and then get worse again or did they just not seem to do anything? Just so you are aware she is on the appropriate dose for her body weight.
<br /> I think a culture is indicated for sure although the bacteria present in the urine may be fewer since she has been on antibiotics and that may take longer for the culture to grow.
<br /> I would ask your vet if he/she would feel comfortable with changing the antibiotic she is on to something with a different spectrum.   I don't know what area you live in but there are areas of the country where mycoplasma urinary tract infections are more prevalent and a different antibiotic altogether would be indicated. In fact mycoplasma may not grow on a regular urine culture.
<br /> I don't think your vet is taking advantage of you from what you have described. At this point I would prepare yourself with a list of questions for the vet about the things we "discussed" so he or she can see if they apply to your puppy. I would also be preparing yourself to spend a potentially large sum of money (unfortunately) as some of these problems can be difficult to diagnose.   

Best,
Dr. Duncan