Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

Is blood after pooping serious if its only a few drops?

Is blood after pooping serious if its only a few drops? Can it be something simple?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Blood in the stool or after movments is typically one of two things a parasite infection or a blockage of some type it is often referred to as Colitis. Though there are other causes such as IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) and other more serious problems such as Cancer.

I suspect that she may have ingested something that is causing irritation but it could be IBS as well. Your going to need to take her in for a fecal smear and a examination to make sure there are no underlying issues causing the problem.

If it is going to be a few hours or longer before the vet can get you in then we need to try and settle her stomach down until the appointment. I would recommend starting her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to help settle her stomach down (1 part skinless chicken Breast to 3 parts white rice).

Pepto Bismol is not recommended due to the amount of aspirin in the new formula. You can give Immodium or Kaopectate Here is a link with dosage instructions:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i know she ate something it was a decoration, but it was bamboo-it was all natural. I appreate your help.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Even all natural items can cause serious problems in the digestive track of dogs. In fact anything that is wood or bamboo is dangerous in the digestive track of a dog and often causes blockages which are painful and even deadly if not treated.

You will need to get her into see her vet as soon as possible in order to have a xray done to determine where the decoration is and what damage it has caused.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is rawhide bad for young puppies. She didnt eat the decoration...just tore it up.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Well its great that she did not ingest it, though if it is possible she even got a few shards in her mouth the little pieces could have caused some damage going though the digestive track.

Rawhide is not good for any dog but more so for puppy's. In fact rawhide is the leading cause of blockages in dogs. Never ever allow your pup to chew or eat rawhide items. Bones, plastic and even cloth toys can be ingested and cause a problem. I know this narrows down the choices but you must be careful that anything you give your dog can not be eaten. There are some great products called Kong's and Bully Bones that are great for chewing but are not edible. You can pick them up at your local pet store.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help!