Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

MY POODLE/YORKIE MIX HAS RED AROUND HER EYES. I WAS TOLD IF

MY POODLE/YORKIE MIX HAS RED AROUND HER EYES. I WAS TOLD IF I GIVE HER DISTILLED WATER ALL THE TIME THIS WILL GO AWAY, IS THIS TRUE AND WILL THIS CAUSE ANY HARM TO HER??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
Hi ralph wooten,

Does she have red and inflamed whites of her eyeballs, or are you referring to some type of reddish staining on the fur around her eyes?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
JUST THE RED AROUND HER EYES ON HER FUR. BEFORE WE MOVED TO OUR NEW HOUSE LAST JUNE. WE HAD A FILTER SYSTEM UNDER OUR SINK, AND ANOTHER ONE ON OUR FRIDGE. WE ONLY USED THE WATER FROM THE FRIDGE WHICH WOULD OF WENT THRU 2 FILTERS. SHE DID NOT GET THESE RED STAINS UNTIL WE MOVED HERE AND THERE IS ONLY ONE FILTER ON THE FRIDGE. BOTTLED WATER FROM THE STORES DOES NOT WORK EITHOR.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
This redness is due to tear staining of the fur, and it cannot really be helped with any type of water. Distilled water is not meant for drinking, and I do not recommend that your dog be given this. Bottled spring water or tap water is what your dog should drink.

There are some vets who will prescribe tetracycline (an antibiotic) as this seems to help with tear staining of the fur...however, may vets (including myself) do not recommend this type of treatment.

Dr. K