Susan Chambers
Susan Chambers, Dog care specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs helping people care for their dogs, 10 yrs vet. office manager,5 yrs pet loss & bereavement

Our small dog is having problems with his back leg. He is

Our small dog is having problems with his back leg. He is not picking it up. The vet has him on a medicine for inflamation. Our problem now is that he is dragging his foot which has now rubbed away his nail and is bleeding. We have been back to the Vet twice but the second time they just said keep a sock on it to protect it. We can not find a bandage that would protect his foot and keep it from more damage. Do you have an idea ??
HI, sorry to hear of your little dogs leg problem. I would recommend buying a set of little boots they make for dogs to use in snow or hunting.. they come in different types, but most are quite good quality and have a velcro strap that usually will keep the boot on.. you will have to buy 4 I think.. sometimes you can get 2 ... you could look online, or most pet stores now carry a small selection... our dog just got a cast on his leg and I was able to find a cover for it - has to stay totally dry. That is one thing you would only want to use these boots when out walking, as dogs do sweat thru their pads and you dont' want any infection to set in.. you can get some quickstop - a powder used to stop bleeding when you trim nails too short.. or apply pressure with a cotton pad, you can also use some peroxide to remove any blood spots (on carpet and such) and on the foot to prevent infection.. along with a little antibiotic ointment if he will leave it on.. otherwise, a sock will work, but you need to tape it literally to his fur and that makes for an uncomfortable time removing it.. a sock will breath and if it stays dry you can leave it on.. I had a shepherd that used to drag her back leg and had the same problem.. we'd get half way down the street and I'd turn around to see these little booties I tried to make laying on the sidewalk.. I finally discovered the little boots made for dogs.. just to give you an idea of what they look like - check this website.. but I do believe this time of year most pet stores should have some in stock.. thanks for caring and good luck ... Susan   website: