Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

I just noticed my dogs nail split in half and hes licking

I just noticed my dogs nail split in half and he's licking it alot, should I wrap it or is there somthing i can get to put on it so it heals quicker
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Is there any bleeding?

Is the nail still on or did it fall off?

Walter

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No there is no bleeding
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, the nail is still in tact but split in half
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

First off you will need to clean the foot throughly with soap and water. Rinse all the soap off. Then rinse the foot in a mixture of Peroxide and water to kill any bacteria or germs on the foot. Do this twice a day.

Apply a antiseptic cream such as Neosporin with pain relief and wrap the foot in gauze. Use surgical tape to keep it on. I would then recommend using a small white sock to place over this and apply it with tape as well to prevent him chewing it.

Getting him to hold still can be tough you may want to call someone to help you. Otherwise choose a small area where there is less room for him to move around and get him calm and lying down. Grasp the foot and hold on while trying to apply the sock and tape. Wrap the surgical tape from top to the bottom of the foot then around and back down under the foot again to secure it in place to prevent him from walking out of it.

You will need to keep this clean and dry to prevent any infection. The rest of the nail will likely break off over the next few days but it will be tender for your boy.

Walter

Walter

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.