Dr Deb G
Dr Deb G, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for 20 years, lifetime pet owner, special interest in Quality of Life issues

9 year old English bulldog is losing hair in patches. Its

Customer Question

9 year old English bulldog is losing hair in patches. It's very flakey and on his stomach the patches are black on pink skin. He's very itchy and has very bad dandruff
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Deb G replied 7 years ago.

I have some questions...

What kind of food is he on? Any other treats or supplements?

Do you bathe him regularly? What kind of shampoo do you use?

Does he have any additional skin problems (like licks feet, scratches ears, etc.)?

Does he have any additional health problems?

Thanks for the info!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He's on Meerick Senior, doesn't get reats very often when he does they are Wellness potato and fish. The only other isuue is his nose folds, but we take good care of those. He is bathed at least every 2-3 weeks with a sensitive skin shampoo from our vet. At first it looks like bumps under the hair, but when you touch them it's scabby/flakey and the hair just comes off. On his tummy the spots are black.
Expert:  Dr Deb G replied 7 years ago.

From what you describe it sounds as though your boy has folliculitis. The black spots on the tummy are what we call "black heads" in people. Also the bumps on the back would be follicles that are plugged with debris. If there are no other skin issues (except the nasal fold ones) I doubt this is a food issue and would look elsewhere.

One thing I would definitely consider doing is a thyroid panel blood test. One of the most common signs we see with hypothryroidism is skin issues. Take care of the thyroid and the skin clears up!

Another thing to try is a follicular flushing/antibacterial shampoo. It helps to open the follicles, get the debris out, and clear up infections. Generally, I don't start these dogs on systemic antibiotics until we've tried and failed with topicals.

If a skin problem is refractory to treatment, I usually recommend a skin biopsy so that the pathologists can give us an idea of what is going on at the cellular level.

Finally, as it is so cold and we have the heaters on, I generally recommend getting a humidifier going and putting some moisture back in the air. We are all suffering from dry skin right now. If you don't have a humidifier, consider putting you pet in the bathroom during shower time or with a tub of steaming water.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas to discuss with your vet.