Dr Dan
Dr Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduate from top veterinary school NC State and training in specialty cases at Internship in CA

there is a soft tissue lump on my dogs knee about 1 inch by

Customer Question

there is a soft tissue lump on my dog's knee about 1 inch by 1/2". Sometimes it is hard sometimes soft and can be moved around a little. there is no pus or discharge and it is not an open wound. what is it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Dan replied 7 years ago.
the only way to know what a lump consists of it to Biopsy it. Often an aspirate adn cytology ( a small needle sample but not a biopsy) can give you that answer, but not always. The benefit of an aspirate and cytology is that we can usually do it would sedation or even pain medications. It's very non-invasive.

Because BOxers are prone to cancerous growths, I would have it sampled soon. A physical by a vet may reveal that is feels like a lipoma (a benign fatty tumor) but it shoudl still be aspirated to confirm this.

Good Luck!