Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

what shots are in a 7 -1 vaccine for dog

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hi
The Seven way dog vaccines include Distemper, Parvovirus, Hepatitis, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, and either 2 strains of Leptospirosis or one coronavirus and one leptospirosis. The term can be used differently with different manufacturers.
All of these vaccines are quite relevant. I am often asked by clients whether all are neccessary. Certainly Distemper, Hepatitis and Parvovirus are. Adenovirus and parainfluenza components are for Canine Cough (Kennel Cough) and whereas this is not usually a fatal disease it is a nuisance when your dog has it. Your vet will explain to you the relative risks of these diseases depending upon the area you live in.
The difference in cost between "5 in 1" and "7 in 1" make it worthwhile having "the lot" I feel.
I hope I have been of assistance.
Regards, Peter