Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author

Can i use any more than 50mg Vistaril to calm my dog to be

Can i use any more than 50mg Vistaril to calm my dog to be able to clip him?   And can Ketamine be used instead?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 7 years ago.
Vistaril generically known as hydroxyzine is okay to try, since it is an antihistamine used regularly in dogs for allergic conditions, known to be safe. Also, hydroxyzine in some dogs has a mild sedative and anti-inflammatory effect, that may help you to calm him for clipping.

Whether or not you can use 50 mg or more, depends on the dog's weight. Generally, the drug is dosed on dogs at 1 mg per pound of body weight, eg., a 50 pound dog would get 50 mg, etc.

As far as ketamine is concerned, I would not even attempt using this. Not dosed very carefully and in conjunction with diazepam, ketamine can cause disturbing excitatory side effects.