Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

Chow-mix has "tufts" hair falling out with small white flakes on scalp-end

His hair increasingly is falling out wwwwith extremely itchy condition. It covers all his body, is getting worse each day. Seems like bad case of psoriasis (if dogs get this) or could it be mange? Cannot get to vet without help for am handicapped so is there treatment I can do here at home? Too cold to bath unless it would cure him-so I haven't done that yet. I treat him for fleas,ticks with monthly concentrate I order online & I just treated him week ago, but no affect. He is older dog too if that makes any difference-13 years.
Thanks, Chris
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem with your dog. It will be hard for me to say for sure what is going on without examining him, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms you have mentioned. He could have a skin infection. We don't always know why dogs get them but unfortunately they are only able to be successfully treated by a prescription of oral antibiotics given by your vet.

It is also possible that your dog has an allergy. While a change to a hypoallergenic food may help, if he is actually having flaky skin and itchiness he may have infection along with the allergy in which case he needs medicines prescribed.

It is also possible that he has a condition called hypothyroidism. You can read more about this here.

Mange is possible, but not very common.

If you are unable to get to a vet perhaps you could call your vet and ask if they do housecalls? It really does sound like this is a problem that will not go away with home remedies.

I hope he does ok!

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>If I must take him to vet I will need to get help but in meantime what remedies could I try that may help just in case it is not infection just an irritation of some sort-any over the counter dogige items I could get at store or something that would help if it's his extremely thick hair reacting to say change in temps? Here in FL is hot but recent cold spell here now-may have effect on this? Hydrocortisone or ?? could be of use with his lamb-like coat? Please if online add to my answer?</p>
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.

Most pet stores sell spray on conditioners that help to add moisture to the skin, so you can give that a try. Also, adding omega fatty acids to his diet will help with coat health.

However, neither of these products are likely to cure the problem, and I really think, unfortunately, that a vet visit will have to happen at some point.

Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>If I wash him would that make it worse or better? There are so many 'tuft-like" spots all over that if they all come off his coat will be patchy. Also brushing him causes itching but pulls out the "tufts" leaving good fur intact-should I brush the heck out of him!?</p><p>Thanks Chris</p>
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.

Sorry about the delay...I was offline for a short while.

Most likely bathing him won't make much difference. It would be good though to brush him. Those tufts of hair are dead hair and they are irritating to him. He'd feel better if they were out!

Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>OK one last ? you didn't inform me of-how about the itch medications over the counter like hydrocortisone(sp) spray of if they have powder- or others? Will they help any so maybe the infectious bug will dissipate after awhile? Or at least to help him not itch till I get to vet? Is there others more than hydrocortisone OTC?</p><p>Again thanks-Chris</p>
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.

I would not recommend a hydrocortisone spray. First of all, anything that can be bought over the counter is such a small amount of cortisone that it does very little, if anything at all for the itch.

Next, if we use hydrocortisone without antibiotics and there happens to be an infection present we may actually make the infection worse and your dog may end up having to be on antibiotics for several weeks longer.

You may want to phone your vet and ask if they are ok with you giving benadryl to help with the itch until you can get an appointment. You can read more about this here.

Dr. Marie.

Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets