Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

Is it safe to give my dog a glycerin suppository and some childrens

Is it safe to give my dog a glycerin suppository and some childrens chewable saline laxatives for constipation?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

How long has the dog been constipated?

Any blood in the stools?

Has the dog ingested any bones, rawhides or non food items lately?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has been constipated for about 3 days. no blood in stools, he has been chewing a bone that has its center packed w/ some kind of peanut butter flavored stuffing. 1/2 of the originally 6 inch bone is consumed over several weeks.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

To cure the immediate problem you can start by mixing 1 teaspoon of pumpkin into his meals to get him regular again. If you need to you can add some more until he go's. While the laxatives can be used the fact is human laxatives and suppository's are not as effective in dogs and more often cause loose stools. Pumpkin is a natural laxative that will stimulate him within a short amount of time without causing stomach upset.

Sometimes constipation is from not getting enough fiber into your dogs diet or because he isn't getting enough fresh water. If this becomes a problem you may want to look into increasing fiber into his diet.

Another reason for constipation can be a blockage from something he ate such as this bone he has been chewing on, if you believe this may be the case of the constipation, I would highly recommend a trip to his vet. When a pet has a blockage, they may exhibit any of the following symptoms: vomiting, loss of appetite, distended belly, an absence of feces or a change in the feces, blood in the stool or vomit, drooling, and retching or trying to vomit with the meal coming up or nothing coming up. If your pet exhibits one or more of these signs a trip to the vet is highly recommended.