Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Why is my dog staring at the ceiling

Customer Question

My dog stares sheepishly at the ceiling for long periods. He is also afraid to enter certain rooms and trembles. We have been living in the same apartment for the last 4 years and have never seen these behaviors.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 7 years ago.

How old is your dog?

When he stares at the ceiling, does he respond to your voice?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is 7 yrs old he shakes and tremors and pins his ears back sheepishly like something is scaring him... this is all new and he sometimes looks at us if we call him when he is doing it sometimes he just keeps focused and stares for about ten to twenty seconds then walks away
Expert:  Ann M. replied 7 years ago.
The only thing, medically, that I can think of that would cause this would be seizure-like activity. (Some would argue that you may have a "ghost" or spirit in the house that he is sensing, but that's not really my realm of expertise.) Staring while trembling can be a form of seizure, and really, any behvavior that is out of the ordinary can be a form of seizure. I recommend having some bloodwork checked with your veterinarian and see if it shows any abnormalities, and then go from there. There are many different causes for seizure activity, and your vet will want to rule out a metabolic problem first.

In the meantime, if he has more than 2 "episodes" within a 24 hour period, contact a veterinarian right away.