Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.

My dog has a lump on his side behind his left front leg could

Customer Question

My dog has a lump on his side behind his left front leg could it be cancer ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 5 years ago.

Good evening,Customer I'd love to help you with your question but first, could you help me by giving extra details:

How big is the lump: about the size of a raisin, grape, plum, or apple?

Is it firm or soft?

Does it move with the skin, or is it stuck to the body?

Is there hair over the area, or a bald patch?

Does the dog lick it, or seem bothered by it?

How long has it been there?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to helping you with this concern.

-Dr. Wally

Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years experience in veterinary field.
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 5 years ago.

Is it firm or soft?

How long has it been there?

-Dr. Wally

Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 5 years ago.

I apologize for the mix up. I have not actually answered your question yet. I had intended to send an information request. Of course, it's late, and I was typing too fast for my own good. : )

Our dialog is still open, and I will wait for your reply.

Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 5 years ago.

I haven't heard back from you, and I apologize for any mix up in communication.

Lumps on dogs, especially Labradors, are fairly common. The ones that are moveable with the skin tend to be Lipomas, which are benign growths of fat. Other skin tumors can be cancerous and have a similar appearance. Mast Cell Tumors are common, cancerous, and look like lipomas.

Your vet can perform a needle aspirate, where he takes a small needle and gets a small sample of the tumor to look at under the microscope. He can then tell if it's nothing to worry about, or something suspicious that should be removed.

You could alternatively just watch the growth for any change in size or appearance. If it rapidly increases in size, have it checked.

And even a benign tumor can cause problems if it is in the wrong spot and interferes with walking or laying down. In that case, it would be removed.