Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog has been coughing and having a hard time breathing at

Customer Question

My dog has been coughing and having a hard time breathing at times. I took him to the vet and she took ex-rays and said it was a hernia with a lesion on his lung....I never heard of a hernia on the lung! Is this possible?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

That is interesting. Can you answer a couple questions to help me out?
1) How old is your dog?
2) How long had he been coughing and not breathing well at times?
3) What did they offer as far as treatment for this condition?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My dog is 7 yrs old

he has been coughing about a month and not breathing well for about 2days

She said he had a fever of 104 so put him on ciprofloxacin 500mg

sent us home and I am still worried

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I'm going to say that I've never heard of a hernia on the lung. Technically a hernia is the protrusion of tissue through a defect.   Do you think its possible that they said something else? When I am using the phrase hernia and chest in the same sentence, it is usually referencing tissue from the abdominal cavity coming into the chest through a defect in the diaphragm. Maybe this is what your vet was referring too. If tissues (intestines, liver, stomach, etc...) come into the chest they can compress the lungs and cause irregularities to be visible.

I will always encourage an owner to give their vet a follow up call after their appointment for the following reasons: 1) To make sure everything was covered in an understandable way (if you don't fully understand their explanations - ask lots of questions!) 2) To give the vet a chance to see how the case is responding to the treatment started up.

If the term hernia was used in the conversation, usually that also involves the discussion of surgery. Here is a link that talks about all the hernias in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia

I would say that if your still worried, talk to your vet! If they don't answer all your questions, don't hesitate or feel bad to ask for a second opinion. That is your right. As far as for now, if he is comfortable, keep going with the oral antibiotics until you can follow up with them.

Please let me know how I can help further!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my dog also had his left hind leg removed because he had bone cancer 2 yrs ago.

I guess I am scared that it might come back and the vet seems to think that I over react to the health of my dog...but he really is having some breathing problem....Thanks for your answer and I will seek a second opinion!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
That has me worried that your dog had bone cancer 2 years ago. I forgot to ask what breed your dog is. I'm assuming that the bone cancer was osteosarcoma? Did you do chemotherapy with it? Did your vet do the amputation and send off the leg for histopathology?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My dog is a dalmation/mix....everything happened really quick and he was diagnosed

2-5-07 and amputation 2-6-07...he never had cemo...and to my knowledge the leg was never sent anywhere!! I believe I paid for surgical waste...looking up statement now.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
If your dogs leg was never sent anywhere then I'll be honest in saying this, your vet didn't do their job. How do they know what type of cancer was in the leg and what the prognosis would be. Any time I take off a mass, I feel it is my duty to send it in to be able to tell an owner what it is and what we can do about it. Unless that owner totally declines sending it in to save cost.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The vet took ex-rays and said it was bone cancer and needed to remove the leg as soon as possible...he never said what kind of cancer or never mentioned sending the leg in for further testing. I have taken my dog to a different vet for his cough and breathing problem....the other vet is to far away and I have limited transportation at this time. I am kind of glad...at least this vet is not moving so fast!!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I feel like the first vet honestly missed an important part of information by not sending the leg off to find out what kind of cancer it was. That can greatly dictate the outcome. It can also give an owner a chance at further care if it is needed.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You for all your help...I will take my dog for a second opinion tomorrow!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like a plan.

Good luck!