Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog have green slime like mucus coming from her butt a

Customer Question

My dog have green slime like mucus coming from her butt area
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is this mucus coming straight from her anus or from around her anus?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It appears to becoming from her vagia instead of her butt, she has never had sex.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Has she been spayed? Is she displaying any other symptoms of being sick? Vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination or drinking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No she has not been spayed. as far as vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination or drinking, I haven't noticed any of the following.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I just have one more important question for you. When was her last heat cycle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was in November, and it lasted longer than usual, she vomit alot during that time as well as having diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information. My biggest concern here is that she has a pyometra. This is an infection of the uterus. It typically happens 1 week to 3 months after their heat cycle, and it usually occurs in older female dogs. The abnormal hormone levels can cause the uterus to secrete more substances, making it just right for an infection. Spaying a female with a pyometra is the best course of therapy. Medical therapy with antibiotics alone may help but will often not completely eliminate the infection. If the cervix is closed, you won't any discharge from the vulva. Since it cannot drain, they are typically very, very sick. When you see discharge, that means the cervix is open, allowing drainage. It usually takes them longer to really get sick in this situation, but it will occur. Other possibilities for the discharge would be vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina, usually from infection) or a urinary tract infection. With the history of the recent heat cycle, I would be very concerned about pyometra, though, because dogs with this disease can become deathly ill. I would bring her into your vet tomorrow to get checked out. They will probably want to run some bloodwork and an x-ray or ultrasound. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome.