Dr. Briggs
Dr. Briggs, Multi-Species Vet
Experience:  16+ yrs private practice with many species
13943227

My dog has swelling around one eye and around her nose. I

My dog has swelling around one eye and around her nose. I can't find any kind of mark on her (like bug or snake bite) I noticed it yesterday afternoon when we got home from church. It may be a little worse today, but she is eating, drinking, and releiving herself. I can tell she doesn't feel very good, however. She is a chahuahua mix and weighs about 8 lbs. She goes outside for 10-25 minutes twice/day. We live in the country and have 2 big outside dogs. Should I just watch her for changes or could this be serious and need a vets attention? I don't have much money, so I'm tempted to just see what happens. Your thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Briggs replied 7 years ago.
If it's secondary to some trauma/bug bite it should be significantly better or resolved in short order (a day or less). If it persists or there are any other signs, I'd strongly advise getting her checked out - tooth root abscesses can present just as you are describing. DocB:)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would something like that come on suddenly? She was fine Sunday morning ~8:00 and then all swollen by 1:00pm that day.
Yes it can appear to; it will build up then when it reaches a certain 'pressure' can appear with an acute onset (again, if that is what is going on). Remember the little breeds are particularly predisposed to dental disease and that's part of the reason it should get checked out if not resolved in the next day...docB :)