Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

my dog got into the garbage last night when I was not home,

my dog got into the garbage last night when I was not home, has never done this before, her stomach is bloated and she is drinking alot of water. I know she doesn't feel well is there anything I can give her to maybe help her to go to the bathroom, she is peeing but not anything else?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi rrobin,

Getting into the garbage can cause garbage gut, pancreatitis or if there were any non food items eaten or bones, then this can cause an obstruction of the bowel. Garbage gut can produce abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy and can progress into shock.

I would try to see a vet today if you have no idea of what she ate from the garbage.

IF you can't see a vet, I would not give the dog anything to eat for at least twenty four hours but water should be supplied. Then try a bland diet of boiled chicken ans white rice. IF the dog refuses this or cannot hold it down she needs vet help.

I would check the dog for fever rectally. Normal body temp for dogs is 100 5 to 102.5. IF she has a fever near 104. seek vet help Check the gums for pinkness, if they are white or pale she needs immediate help.

Taking a temp.

garbage gut