Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my female dog is bleeding after mating. is this normal

Hello Dawniemarie.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. When was she mated?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i happend about two hours ago. she mated with a couple of days ago. we tried to keep them apart and in no way wanted this. i would take her to an emergency vet but I do not have that kind of money. the bleeding does seem to be getting a little bit lighter and a more pinkish color.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If she has just started to bleed two days after mating then this is a cause for concern and the dog should be checked out, it could be she needs antibiotics.

However if your dog is otherwise bright, alert and happy and does not deteriorate then this could possibly wait until the next available routine appointment with your regular vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry i wasnt clear. she mated a couple of days ago and then again a couple of hours ago. she started bleeding after mating a couple of hours ago.
Hello again,

Thanks for the further information, that makes things a bit clearer.

Bleeding after a mating which took place a couple of hours ago is much more normal, hopefully it will just resolve over the next twenty four hours and that will be the end of the matter.

Having said that it would be wise to monitor your dog and if any discharge continues over the next week you should have your vet check things out.