Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

Dog: bone..did not chew it at all because the time..acting fine

My Dog swallowed a whole cooked chicken bone, about 2.5 inches long. I know she did not chew it at all because the time between me droping it and bending down to try and take it from her was under 3 seconds and it was still gone. She is an 8 year old lab mix 55lbs, and this happened 9 hours ago and she is still acting fine. I have decided after reading for over an hours now, that online forums have too much discrepenecy for me to trust (cotton balls, white rice, bread, induce vomiting, immeadiate trip to the Emergency vet....) so I would like to ask an expert.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 years ago.

HI gators,

Since it was over 9 hours ago it is too late for a vet to try and retrieve it with a scope so now you will have to wait and see if it passes in the stool and if it does not it will cause an obstruction of the bowel. Symptoms of this are sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or change in stool and habits, and lethargy. An obstruction will need surgery. Here is more on this. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Another problem with cooked bones is they can splinter and puncture a hole in the bowel causing poison to go through the system which could send the dog into shock. Keep an eye on the gums, if they turn white or pale immediate help is needed.

You can try to give the dog a few pieces of whole grain bread as this may make a cushion around the bone or fragments and help her pass it without incident, but after 9 hours it may be too far into the intestinal tract.

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Sally,

I am sure this is a question you hate but....roughly what is the cost of a surgery like you describe, are we talking $500 $2000 $5000 range.

I will try the bread now if nothing else I will get some pleased licks from Ally (the dog) I am about 30 mins from her normal breakfast time should I still feed her her normal (dry dog food) meal after the bread.

Regards,

Ryan

Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure what the cost of surgery will be at it varies from state to state and vet to vet. IF you're in the city it may be more expensive then a rural vet, but I would figure on the high side to be safe. I'll also direct you to sites that can help with payment if needed.

I would hold off on the dog food for this morning just incase surgery is necessary you don't want a full stomach.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks a million Sally, at least it is the weekend so I will be home to monitor her.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. I will keep my fingers crossed for her:)